Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A New Chapter...Growtth, Dedication, & Maturity.

It was my mother who taught us to stand up to our problems, not only in the world around us but in ourselves.-Dorothy Pitman Hughes
  
For the past two years I could not wait until the day I would have the opportunity to attend my own commencement.  At the beginning of each semester, I  remember constantly being asked by family and  friends how much longer would l be in school for. My response was always, "Not much longer, just another year or so." I guess  giving the same answer to the "concerned" people the same helped to satisfy my own anxiety. (In fact, I have been giving that same response since my sophomore year of college, the same time i had gotten over campus life.) Before then, I even had this whole plan that by the age of 21,I would have both my bachelor's and my masters in Social Work. HA!!, clearly my life didn't go as planned. Because at the age of 22, (going on 23), I have just obtained my bachelor's degree, in one of the most rigorous programs, known Speech Language Pathology.  In my junior year, i decided to change my major from Social Work to Speech Language Pathology. This  is after being told by several professors that i wouldn't be able to handle such a hard program, and I should change my major to Criminal Justice. In my opinion, changing my major to CRJ would have been taking the easy way out. Changing my major in my Junior year of college happened to be one of the best, but hardest decisions I have made in my life. I have NO REGRETS !! This is despite the many times I cried , and the several other times I called my mother and told her ,"I was done with the pointless BS classes and was going to dropout." But unlike alot of other people in the world, I did it and the feeling of my success is exhilarating. 
  College, (for me), equalled growth not independence. Completing my High School education at  a college preparatory boarding school had already taken care of my desire to be independent. Aside from independence, I was dedicated. I was not going to let anyone get in the way of my success. Do not get me wrong, being independent and wearing this tough skin, does not mean I didn't make mistakes. This is because  I was so independent that I was reluctant to ask for help when it was needed.  I was dedicated to  me , myself, and I.  Therefore, for every mistake I made , I paid a large personal consequence. These consequences only made me stronger.  But it also humbled me. I walked on CW Post campus with an "IDGAF, I been there, done that " attitude, but it changed quickly. I learned that being humble will get you much further in life. I wasn't little "trice" anymore. I was maturing into a young woman, and I AM EXTREMELY PROUD OF THAT.
     Maturity has allowed me to look at the world in more ways than just one, which in the past, was usually just mine.  My friendships and relationship with various family members has also been strengthened.  My tolerance and desire to take things slow has also increased. I am in no rush to do anything. And although it may sound cliche, I do believe that "good things do come to those who wait." My respect for my mother has grown 100% . It has also forced me to be more understanding when things do not go my way or don't go as planned. My patience and dedication to school for  5 years paid off.  I am ready to open a new chapter and enter this crazy real world that we all have to live in. I FEEL GREAT AND I WILL CONTINUE TO TRAVEL ON THIS PATH NAMED SUCCESS.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, my experiences have many parallels to yours, I'm also glad you started blogging I'm always looking for new inspirations. Congratulations again this is a real exciting time for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I love writing but with school and other things i have no time. I have all the time in the world so i will definitely be keeping up wiht it now :)...thanl you and congrats to you as well !!

    ReplyDelete