Friday, August 19, 2011

Two Parents or One ....

"What is better, two parents or one ? " is a question that i was asked to answer a couple weeks back . The question really stuck with me. As it may come to no one's surprise, I responded both. I guess this is because I was raised in single-parent home, and as a child I would envy those who had both parents around.  None the less, I do believe one strong parent is good enough too. 
 Although I do not have children of my own, I do believe a parent who is well grounded, strong-willed, and has the ability to guide their child on the right path, can raise that child to be successful.  25% of black population's children are raised in single parent homes. SAD BUT EXTREMELY TRUE !!!  And even though the other 75% don't have both parents present, some have still managed to graduate college, become successful lawyers, doctors, etc.(This is not saying that children who are raised in homes with both parents cannot turn out to be some effed up individuals. The stats say and have proven that it  is less likely.) Being a product of a single parent home there were several times when I struggled with understanding, and sometimes not understanding, why my father was/is never around.  I also thought about whether or not i would be a better person than I currently am. Despite his absence, like several other mothers around the world, my mother still expected to be all that i could be. 
 Despite the several things that a mother can provide her child with , she will NEVER be able to provide him/her with the type of love a father can give.  A man's delivery is totally different. Several young men and women have no idea what that love is.  In response to their ignorance, we begin to form our opinions about a man's love and they ways in which it should be displayed.  We have boys who don't understand what being a man is about, and what is expected of them. On the other hand, you have girl's looking for love from these boys who think they are men, yet neither one really have no clue. 
 I will like to make sure that you all, (my readers), do not think I'm here to bash single parents. I want us to realize and reflect on this, (what seems to be a),never ending cycle. I am proud to be a  product of a single-parent home and wouldn't change it for the world. But I  do wish that I can say my father was there, instead of just a father-figure. I have never had the opportunity to know what a father's love is like personally, and I do, at times, wish i did. Many of you reading this may or may not be able to relate. And if you cannot, I'm sure you know someone who can.  
 
Answer this question ..."Both parents or one?"



No comments:

Post a Comment